Friday, May 4, 2012

Aloo Tikki

                                   Aloo Tikki

This is one of my favourite breakfasts. Aloo tikki cooked on slow fire with little oil on tawa. Served with hari-chutney and tomato ketchup and crisp toasts it’s a healthy and hopefully nutritious. As a little girl passing Punjab Sweets on my way to school and back I used to look longingly at the aloo tikkis the halwais had on their huge round tawas. They were arranged in a tempting circle at the edge of the tawa. They would heat and serve a couple of them whenever a order was passed.
As a grown up I wanted to gorge on the tikkis of Nathu’s sweets of Bengali Market. In Delhi they are served with imli chutney which is in a class of its own.
In Rajasthan I discovered aloo-tikkis stuffed with dals and kaju.
At home I do mine stuffed with matar. Peas cooked in garam masala and amchoor and mashed a little.
The guitar is a papier-mâché again picked up from Srinagar. The Sitar is a fancy silver one probably a farewell gift.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home